Superheroes in Training

Friday, January 2, 2009

Christmas 2008

I have noticed in the past couple of years that I have enjoyed Christmas so much more as a mom.

One of My families traditions growing up has been to stretch Christmas out throughout the whole day. My husbands family has a family tradition of gathering in the morning where they pass out gifts together and then enjoy the rest of the day visiting and enjoying their gifts. This year we sort of combined the two. In the mornings we woke up with the boys and gathered together in front of the tree and opened the gifts. MD this year understood that there were toys and books underneath all the wrapping paper and enthusiastically tore into every gift we passed his way. Hyrum on the other hand enjoyed every gift Michael opened and then cast aside in his excitement to open the next gift. It was a sweet morning watching my children play together and play with their new toys.

After we did the gifts we walked over to my parents house and visited for a little while before we went back home for stockings. The boys really enjoyed dumping out their stockings. Md would throw his candy in the air and was so excited when he realized there was a toy cell phone in his stocking from his Aunt Meg. Hyrum grabbed MD's foam puzzle pieces and chewed happily while Michael and I sat back watched. Maybe one of the reasons I enjoyed this holiday so much is not necessarily the giving of the gifts-or the receiving, but the special family time it facilitates. While I watched my kids laugh and play I had one of those moment where I could feel and was completely aware that I was so happy.

After naptime we headed over to my parents house again for the family Chinese gift exchange that my parents put on every Christmas. It was so fun to watch everyone open a gift and steal others gifts. This year my parents went all out with there gifts and there was not much stealing because everyone was happy with the gift that they received.

The rest of the day was spent visiting, playing and watching shows. I am so grateful for this time of year because it makes me so grateful for my eternal family and the sacrifice that Christ made to make us an eternal family.


Here is Hyrum in His Christmas pajamas from Aunt Melissa and Uncle Aaron!
Michael enjoyed opening up every gift! Even the ones meant for Hyrum.

The boys on Christmas morningThis was Michaels gift. He has a picture of him holding his gun but he really wanted me to post the picture of me :)


My parents had a donut eating contest. Michael did pretty well and Hyrum was totally willing to help. Too bad Hyrum.... maybe next year when you have teeth
MD enjoying his Christmas feast....Mostly he enjoyed the pies and other sweets

Not a great picture but the only one we took of all of us together. Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

beccandjp said...

you guys are such a sweet family!! I love how happy you all look!!! I am so happy for you!!!!!

Celia said...

So fun to hear about your Christmas and see your pictures. We love and miss you!!!