I have realized I need to be better about recording the thoughts I have had especially during these young years. Life just keeps speeding up and my memory just keeps getting worse the longer I am a mother so I am afraid some of these precious moments will be forgotten before long.
I have heard over time some negative feedback about Michael and My decision to get pregnant with our second so soon after our first. I was a little surprised myself when Michael came home from church one Sunday when MD was around 3 months old and announced that he felt like we needed to start trying for our second. I was floored to be honest. Here we were with a brand new baby, I had no where near lost all of the pregnancy weight from MD and I remember thinking "Are you Kidding??? We have a baby!!!" I prayed and prayed and tried to wrap my mind around what my husband had announced and after a couple of days had the feeling that either I trust my husband and his prompting, or do it my own way and regret it. Michael never at any point pressured me, nor did he say that having another baby was priesthood council
Shortly thereafter I found out I was pregnant with baby # 2. As I sat staring at the positive pregnancy test I remember being completely overwhelmed with emotion. I felt the reassurance of the spirit that what we had done was right and I had the distinct impression that the Lord was grateful for my faith in him and his timing.
Michael had received his deployment orders by this point and so we were trying to get as much together as we could before he left for Afghanistan. The night before he left I received a blessing where in it I was told how grateful my child was to be coming to me, and was excited that I was going to be their mother. Michael told me afterwards that he was pretty sure we were going to have a boy.
Michael left and I got used to the life without Michael physically present. MD was a comfort and was more then enough to keep me busy. During this time MD became a close Friend who seemed in some ways to realize how much I needed him. He would come and lay down next to me and touch my face when I would get overwhelmed and would break down and I remember treasuring that time with my first born, I think like most mothers, as the time grew closer to have Hyrum the more I mourned for the lost one on one time I would stop having with MD, but I knew I was giving MD a better gift-A brother and a friend.
Michael was able to come home for the birth of Hyrum. We had a hard time naming MD but with Hyrum there were only ever two options. I never thought we were going to have a girl so we never even picked out a girls name. When Michael suggested Hyrum, it fit. I read in D&C a couple of days later and the passage 124:15 which reads, "..blessed is my servant Hyrum Smith; for I, the Lord, love him because of the integrity of his heart, and because he loveth that which is right before me.." and I felt like there was no better name for our sweet boy.
Michael left after 2 weeks and MD decided he wanted nothing to do with me since we had brought Hyrum home. I think in his mind he couldn't understand why I would find another kid to replace him. Because I had a c-section I wasn't allowed to pick up MD at all and so he turned to his grandmothers. It was really hard to watch MD pick another mother figure but during that time, and the months following Hyrum became my constant comfort. He was remarkable good. He never cried unless he was hungry or sick, smiled freely and let me hold him as much as I wanted.
Hyrum has continued to have a very laid back personality, but the older he gets the more Ross I see in him. He looks like one, but he also acts like a mixture of my brother Samuel who liked to keep things stirred up as a kid, and my dad with his big personality and friendship to everyone. I have realized over and over what a blessing this special boy is in our life and I would never decide to go back and do what we did differently. So happy birthday my Sweet, engaging, loud, happy, enthusiastic and crazy child of mine. We would not be complete without you.
Hyrum a newborn in the hospital weighing in at a whopping 8 pounds 7 ounces and was 21 inches long!
Blessing picture
Blessing day




Learning to walk-he learned with a walking stick-no lie :)
1'st Birthday!
My little super hero
3 comments:
Happy Birthday little Hyrum! We LOVE you!!!! And Laurie I am missing you here in TX. It has been fun but wish you were here to talk to. Love you!
This post brought a tear to my eye. I remember when I started reading your blog and Michael was deployed I felt drawn to you b/c my husband is also a soldier. You are inspiring. I love the strengths you show.
He is soooo beautiful Lou! What a sweet little mischief maker.
Post a Comment