Superheroes in Training

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Just the 5 of us

And then for a wonderful couple of hours it is the 6 of us. No more help-I guess I have "graduated" to being able to handle life with 4 kids! The truth is it feels really good. 4 kids is kind of hard (Ok really hard) but it feels so good to do something instead of sitting on my bum all.day.long.
One of the side effects of about 3 1/2 months on bed rest is that I am so out of shape. Walking up our stairs leaves me breathing heavy, and trying to do a warm up for a work out makes me feel like I just ran 4 miles...So trying to run after 3 kids while toting around the 4th makes me feel like I should have "super woman" on my shirt because of the enormous effort it takes just to do that!
But-I still feel so good. I love to move and feel the burning in my muscles. A few weeks ago I was watching "Forever Strong" (Great movie-I highly recommend it!) and watched some boys running and felt so motivated! I want to run! I can't yet, but I am looking forward to when I can.

Clark, who we lovingly call Clark the Shark, has started to wake up from being a newborn to being a baby. I am not sad at all. I like that he is starting to watch me and give me his precious smiles. He is kind of stingy with them, though his daddy can get one any time he wants! Me-I have to work for it. Sometimes I get confused and think he is smiling at me when BAM! There's an explosion in my hands that needs some immediate cleaning. 
My favorite thing about Clark right now is how much he doesn't look like me :) Having three versions of myself to look at makes having one brunette Huish a nice bit of variety. 

Michael Dunn has become a helper. What a difference that makes with a baby! He brings me diapers or wipes and tosses the dirty diapers into the trash (Hyrum however runs out of the room when he smells poop and tells me to go somewhere else to change the diaper.) Michael Dunn has also started singing sweet little lullaby's to Clark when he starts screaming. It's hard to listen to him and not feel emotional.

Hyrum is kind of going through a punk phase.  I love him to pieces. I love his energy and enthusiasm but he has decided he can do what he wants when he wants and thinks my orders to him are just suggestions. HA! It was really hard for him when he told me to go to the store and get him some cookies and treats and I told him no. Life's tough when you're a 4 year old. 

But not as tough as it is for Seth. 
Seth is MAD. He is mad at me for having a baby, mad at Daddy for letting me have a  baby and he is mad at his grandparents for leaving him with his parents.  He cries a lot and wants to be held for what feels like hours, but is probably more like 45 minutes. We hold him and talk to him, but mostly we let him run around and hopefully get it out of his system.

So I have decided the first thing to go is going to be housework. I obviously can't do as much right now, so cleaning is becoming the thing that I choose not to do when I feel overwhelmed. Which means there is a lot of the boys lunch all over the floor right now that I have chosen not to sweep up. No one should visit for awhile.

I also like to get away so Michael has been taking us on some lovely drives
We stopped at a campsite and let the boys run around while I held Clark.
Something about fall just makes me happy

2 comments:

Joel and Crystal said...

Loved the update! Sounds like you are doing great and what a cute baby Clark is. Love those fall colors! Enjoy them! Glad you are feeling so good! Love you! Good luck with the punk phase and the one who is angry that you had a baby. It won't be long before Seth realized you gave him a best friend!

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

oh this post was absolutely beautiful and filled with motherhood at its finest!
I love your posts :)