Sometimes when the kids and I are struggling I wonder if I wouldn't have been better suited to become a career women. I was on the phone talking to a friend about nutrition needs for children at the store and a lady asked if I was a doctor- I told her no, but that I majored in nutrition at college. Part of me was a little sad that I couldn't really say I was a nutritionist, that I really wasn't qualified for that title.
One talk in particular made me think- I am not at all sad that I chose the road I am down-not in the slightest though Sometimes I feel unqualified for this much harder calling. And sometimes I feel lost in the shuffle as I realized I have joined the millions of other mothers in the world and why should I stand apart??? Sometimes I am hugely jealous of my husband who is in the spotlight for what he does and who he is. Motherhood seems a lot like background work.
But then my child runs to me when his boot falls off and wants me to put it back on, or my children are laughing hysterically as they play together, or I am comforting a hurt child who only can be comforted by myself and I am overwhelmed with gratitude for this gift I have been given.
I don't like the way the world looks down on motherhood-as a role for uneducated women who couldn't make it in the world, but I am glad to hold that title. I chose to be a mother. I chose to forgo a role in the world to make a home for my small family.
Finally while I had felt torn between maintaining some sense of who I was I realize I want to be this other person-someone who can read a book 10 times patiently, or someone who can handle their child peeing on the floor 5 times in one morning while you are trying to potty train them, or appreciating hearing your child pray at night and realizing that this is a unique love. Thank you Michael Dunn and Hyrum for making me a mother.
AND because I have such a backlog of pictures needing to be put up-I am going to close this post with pics:)
Hyrum enjoying eatinging corn-on-the-cob. He really loves finger foods :)
Family prayer. Right before we started praying MD pulled his bear over to join in.
After we got MD dressed for bed he added some accessories :)
1 comment:
I agree that sometimes it is hard to feel validated as a mother. Thank you for sharing your thoughts that I know so many of us feel.
I'll be in TX in July we should get together :)
Post a Comment