Superheroes in Training

Monday, September 28, 2009

Bad Sleeping habits

For the last several months (Since Michael returned home) I have had the HARDEST time falling asleep! Finally I settled into a pattern of reading until about 3 and then trying to sleep (though there were a couple of times I pulled an all-nighter.) Even though it became a routine I never got used to the lack of sleep. As a result I was a grouch, I was more irritated with the kids and I was so frustrated with myself. Finally after another sleepless night I woke Michael up (Hey misery loves company) by angrily jumping out of bed, muttering about how frustrated i was and then closing the door in a much more forceful way then I should have at 4 in the morning. Michael told me then that he thought it was time I saw a doctor :) At that point I couldn't have agreed more.

A month later (Apparently sleep doctors are WAY over booked) I entered my doctors office and after filling out a survey and complaining of my problems I was informed that I had developed bad sleeping habits. I was told to get up every morning at the same time (And about 3 hours earlier then I was) work non-stop to completely exhaust myself and that if that didn't make a difference to come back in. He also gave me a bunch of do nots right before bed and prescribed me a pill that would help me fall asleep and help me to not sleep walk (Yes i sleep walk-he said I was sleep walking do to poor sleeping) Unfortunately the pill he prescribed was actually for people who have seizures and did not help me get tired NOR did it prevent me from sleep walking (On the contrary I hit a record number the first night I took it- 3 trips!) So after I ditched the medicine I have been doing GREAT! I am falling asleep every night around the same time, waking up WAY before I used to and have not had an episode of sleep walking since. Michael is not completely happy with our doctor (Who besides prescribing something that could have been semi harmful and not helpful at all, also told me I needed further testing and might also need to get my tonsils removed, which I agree with but was not sure where the connection was) But besides all of that I am so grateful to somewhat have my life back. My husband and kids are grateful too because one of the ways I stay busy is to cook treats...I had forgotten how much more time I have if I have more then 8 hours of the day to deal with.


2 comments:

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

Glad you got answers!
What were some of the "do-nots" before bed?
I also make treats sometimes to fill holes in my day haha. Today I made salsa, homemade chips, and brownies!

Anonymous said...

I am SO glad you are starting to get some good sleep...lack of sleep has got to be the worst thing ever, especially with little ones running around all over you. haha. But I do want to hear some funny sleep walking stories if you have any haha. But Don't hurt yourself!!