Superheroes in Training

Monday, June 20, 2011

Stumped

Tonight again for FHE I had one of those moments where my boys completely floored me. Michael asked me to give a spiritual thought and for the life of me I couldn't think of a single thing. Finally after a minute or two when it was getting a little embarrassing that I couldn't think of anything I turned to MD and asked:
"Michael Dunn-Why do we go to church?"
MD answered without skipping a beat
"To go to Sacrament meeting."
I was a little surprised.
"That's right!"
"And why do we go to Sacrament meeting?"
"To take the sacrament!"
Finally thinking I was going to stump him I asked "Well why do we take the sacrament?"
not even missing a beat he said "To repent."
what???
My husband and brother have both been watching this exchange and have noticed how surprised I am. Both are laughing.
"I didn't know you knew that!" I said to MD.
"I did know that!" He said with a giggle. Then my brother speaks up
"He's good!"
MD: "I AM good!!!"
I decided to ask 1 more question
"And who do we take the sacrament for?"
"For Jesus"
At this point MD is laughing right along with Michael and Samuel and is obviously delighted that he surprised me.

Good grief, it just seems like children are smarter these days. And I don't know why I haven't given my children the credit they deserve. From now on they get to give ALL spiritual thoughts :)

3 comments:

Marshall and Shannon said...

That just goes to show that the gospel is taught in your home! When I was in primary, you could always tell who's parents taught them about the scriptures and praying. (They would usually behave during a prayer, and they knew the answers to questions about the scriptures.) It was sad to see those kids who had no clue what was going on...
I think your kids are awesome, and they have awesome parents who teach them about the gospel!!!
p.s.
It was fun talking to you today, we need to do that more often!

Rollins Family said...

Your boys really are amazing but that is due to wonderful parents too! You guys do a great job! I love how you document these experiences. You'll always treasure them. I am so sorry we missed the party. Hopefully we can get together soon!

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

that is a great story!
makes me want to step it up as a parent