I have no idea what I am doing.
MD is such a interesting kid. He's got one of those personalities that is kind of a puzzle to me. In alot of ways he is a lot like his daddy-serious, dedicated and a quick learner. MD copies what we are doing all the time and takes it very seriously! Take washing dishes as an example. That is HIS job and he does it faithfully every time I do the dishes. because of his personality I had decided to start a Chore Chart and it has been wonderful. He helps around the house and picks up his toys and LOVES putting the stickers up when he finishes one of his chores. Recently you might have noticed that we included going to the potty......gulp.....
I have been putting this off for a couple of months...yes months! MD has shown signs of being ready to be potty trained for awhile now. Lately every time he pees he grabs his bottom and starts whimpering coming to me to "fix" the problem. He HATES having dirt on his hands so I can imagine how much he hates having things on his bottom. There have been times he has woken us up in the middle of the night just for us to change a poopy diaper and yesterday he came up to me once again grabbing his bottom and saying "peeeee...peeeeee" So really I have no choice but to help him with this problem.
So as the clueless mother that I am I came prepared for this with a pack of 3 transformer underwear, some Smarties candy for a toilet treat and a bad attitude about what I was about to unleash on our house.
This morning after I had given a bath to both boys I pulled out the underwear and showed them to MD explaining that these were "big boy underwear" He had no idea what I was talking about but loved the fun pictures that were on the back. I set the timer for 20 minutes and let him run around. After 20 minutes I set him on the toilet and explained that he would get a treat if he "tee-teed" in the toilet. He got really excited and started visiting the toilet, pulling down his underwear and sitting on the toilet every couple of minutes. At the beginning I was excited because he was telling me he was "tee-Teeing" but reality hit when I found that he had peed on our carpet in between one of his trips to the bathroom. MD thought if he SAT on the toilet he got a treat. Getting increasingly more frustrated he finally refused to sit on the toilet because he wasn't getting his treat-finally hitting me in his anger. For that he got his diaper put back on and sent to his room for a while. After a couple of minuted we tried again, but this time I tried a different tactic. I knew it would soon be time for him to go to the bathroom so I put him on his potty chair and put his treat on the chair next to him and let him have his treat. Low and behold he peed in the toilet.
I am POSITIVE he did it on accident :) But still he got a different treat and we looked at the pee in his toilet and exclaimed how wonderful it was that he peed in the toilet like a big boy!!!
oops...
When he was done he pulled me into the bathroom to show me that he had peed.
Now that I am somewhat "experienced" I have a total of 15 underwear for this little boy. All joking aside, I am a little excited for MD to be learning this. I can't believe he turns two in 2 weeks!
4 comments:
oh my goodness good luck!! i am wishing all of the quickest success in your endeavor lol Love the chore chart idea by the way! and 2 already sheesh time is flyin'
I can't believe our sweet boy is being potty trained! Good luck! And yes, I do think he's a lot like his dad. It's fun to get to know all their wonderful personalities...
man I don't know if we will do potty training anytime soon! good job!
OH MY GOODNESS, SERIOUSLY!! I READ YOUR BLOG AND IT GETS ME SO SO SO BABY HUNGRY!! ITS SO REAL LIFE AND I LOVE IT. AND IF IT MEANS A THINK YOU ARE SUCH A GOOD MOM AND I LOVE THE CHART, IT NEVER TO EARLY TO TEACH RESPONSIBILITY~~
Post a Comment