Michael Dunn was not an accident or a surprise. Michael and I entered our marriage with the decision to go ahead and welcome whomever the Lord was ready for us to have. I was a bit surprised it happened as soon as it did but I am so glad we did not wait. Over and Over as I felt this baby move I was overcome with the thought that we were getting blessed with such a wonderful ACTIVE baby. I guess all new moms who feel their child kick from morning until the next morning have those similar thoughts. I also had a very distinct feeling that the Lord was grateful that I was willing to trust in his timing and welcome a child into our family. I got alot of criticism for getting pregnant so quickly but I never regretted what we did.
I gained a whopping 45 pounds with Michael and was told by my doctor to try to slow that weight gain down if I could. Michael (my husband) had another approach and decided I was going to enjoy this pregnancy down to the last hamburger if I could.
The pregnancy seemed to take FOREVER and I never felt like one of those cute pregnant women so I was constantly self-conscious about my appearance.
Finally it was at an end and I was taken to the hospital after my water broke only to be sent home. Finally after I got a strict message from my doctor to come back in I decided i should go back and they admitted me. After a day in Pitossin I had not dilated. They told me that evening that we would try again the next day and I remember being deeply disappointed. 30 minutes later though I started to bleed and they decided to do a c-section. My placenta had started to separate early and we were able to catch the problem early before it turned into a critical situation. My first born was born on April 7th in the evening and was the cutest thing I had ever seen (After they cleaned him up-at first he looked like a blue smurf)
Michael was a very mellow and solemn child. He loved his family and loved his routine. If you tried to deviate from it at all he would throw a fit. Getting him to sleep through the night was such a chore and only worked after we finally just let him scream it out. It broke my heart to hear him cry but Michael would send me out of the room so I wouldn't get in the way of the "training":)
We didn't nurse long because of personal reasons but I never felt like I missed out on a chance to bond with my baby. I was so happy to be this child's mother and I knew he was happy to be my son. I remember becoming depressed when I was pregnant with Hyrum to realize that I was losing my one on one time with my baby. I knew with another baby in the home Michael Dunn would become the big boy and would be extremely upset that I would dare mess up what he already considered a good thing.
With Michael deployed, Michael Dunn became my sanity. He kept me in a routine and busy. He kept my mind distracted and then when the moments came that I couldn't stand it any longer he became my comforter. The Lord knew I needed Michael Dunn and I could not have made it through that difficult time in my life without him.
Michael Dunn is still a very solemn and serious boy. Some would look at that as a bad thing but I love it about him. He is much more responsible then I would have guessed for a child of his age and he deeply cares about me and my feelings. He loves his brother and is always ready to play. He does like to have fun but he is very selective about who he will play with. He is the ideal older brother.
I love my first born. I am constantly grateful that we chose to have him when we did. We needed him in our family.
Our sweet New born
A couple of weeks old

After his first haircut

First birthday

2nd Birthday
Happy birthday Michael Dunn. I know you'll enjoy being a big boy :)
3 comments:
I loved this post Laurie. Michael is such a great little boy and you are such a great mother.
I thoroughly enjoyed this post. It inspired me to write something like this to my children. You let him know just how special he is to you.
Happy Birthday Michael Dunn!!! That last picure makes me want to grab him and tickle him! I'm so glad you had him when you did too and I hope he and Robert will be great friends! I love reading what you write about your kids. And I think someday they will LOVE reading your blog/book!
Post a Comment