Superheroes in Training

Sunday, December 19, 2010

My world revolves



Seth is my most difficult baby-by far :) We sure love this chunky monkey but I have realized just how much I took for granted with MD and Hyrum.
Seth is a screamer. I have wondered if he has colic, but I don't think he does. My friend voiced the opinion that maybe in the household of loud and crazy boys this is Seths only way he feels like he can be heard :) I know it is easy to become lost in the confusion over here so maybe she is right.
Seth is a BIG eater-Though my other kids were too but they were both on formula at this point. I am not nursing Seth, but I am pumping so I get the added blessings of knowing just how much he is eating at 5 weeks (Usually between 4-7 ounces a feeding) and feeling like a dairy cow. The struggle here goes back to the screaming. Usually I am in the middle of pumping when he decides to scream his head off and he won't stop screaming until I pick him up, rock him for awhile and then if I am lucky I can usually put him down somewhere REALLY close to me where he is touching me and he can see me.
He seems a bit more stubborn then your average newborn. I have been trying to get a smile from him for weeks! My doctor told me to expect them around 4-5 weeks so I have been doing everything in my power to get him to crack a smile. Sometimes it looks like he is starting too and I get really excited but then he catches himself and turns that half smile into a scream. OK maybe that doesn't make him more stubborn then most newborns, just more stubborn then my other newborns. I think Seth shows signs of a really strong personality.
One thing I have caught him doing that makes me feel like he does like me is when he is laying down in a good mood and he catches sight of me he starts wiggling around and grunting and tries to scoot closer to me. It is just enough validation for me to scoop him up and cover him with kisses- which usually leads to more screaming :)

3 Kids is a lot more work then I thought. I always heard it was though so I tried to be prepared. Sadly I failed, but I love being a homemaker. In all of the screaming, pooping and pumping I have been aware of just how happy I am in this life. I love watching each boy grow and express their own unique personalities, and I think Seth is strong willed enough to survive being the baby in this home :)

4 comments:

Joel and Crystal said...

yes 3 kids is a lot of work but it is so worth it...especially when they are all playing together...or all sleeping! :)

Rollins Family said...

I love your positive attitude. We sure miss you guys. I love hearing the updates. I hope he smiles for you soon!

The Katy Daileys said...

Oh, Laurie! Sarah and Mary screamed the first few months! Seriously, eat, sleep for an hour, scream. Eat, sleep for an hour, scream. With Mary, after all her needs were met, I had to just go put her in the crib sometimes and walk away so I could keep my head. We lost a baby sitter once when we left her she screamed so much. Adam was like your first two! Calm and sweet from the beginning. Then Abigail screamed just as much if not more than Sarah and Mary, Madelyn was better, but not calm like Adam. I am so there with you! It is so hard and no one can understand how hard it is to have a baby that just screams for seemingly no reason unless they have had one (or four in my case). The good news: Each one turned into a mellow toddler and terrific kid (took Abigail the longest to get there). I hope Seth will do the same for you. There is light at the end of this long tunnel of screaming babies (but it is still hard). Love you!

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

I love his name, I know I've said that but I do. Such a strong name. I feel for you on the screaming, that's hard. Good job on the pumping, I never did it, only nursed, pumping seemed like some hard work! you're awesome! keep up all you do.