Superheroes in Training

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Seths Birth Story

As I have already mentioned in previous posts is that I struggled with this last pregnancy.
One thing that was so much worse were my Braxton Hicks contractions. They started around week 20 the way they are suppose to-Harmless and mostly painless. However around week 30 they picked up and started to hurt. At 35 weeks I started having timetable contractions every evening but they were not doing anything at least not dilating wise. At 37 weeks I had a night where the contractions were 1-2 minutes apart and we headed to the hospital. They lasted all night and the doctor showed up all ready for a c-section except around that time they started slowing down. They sent me home and told me to come back if they came back. They did so Michael made me go right back. The nurse decided that I had an irritated uterus and told me she didn't think I was in real labor so she sent me home. The next week the contractions were still coming pretty strong but I refused to go to the doctor because I didn't want to get sent home again and we already had a c-section planned. Sunday night however the contractions were so bad I didn't sleep. Monday I had a doctors appointment where the doctor hooked me up to a monitor to watch. He told me that if the contractions continued, to come into the hospital and he would go ahead a do the c-section since I was so close to my c- section date and he was worried about my uterus rupturing. That evening around 6 we headed back in and after I was checked in they hooked me up to a monitor. After about 15 minutes the doctor came in, looked at the monitor and decided to go for it. He checked me again for dilation (NOTHING) and informed me that I was one of those lucky people who had a stiff or thick (can't remember exactly the term he used) cervix and that it had problems dilating (Explains why MD's labor yielded no results since I was on pitocin for a day after my water broke and I still wasn't dilating)

Anyway I got prepped for the surgery, got my anaesthesia (It was wonderful-I didn't feel a thing!) and had the c-section. I was pretty nervous about this c-section since Hyrums had been so traumatic, and a couple of times at the beginning my blood pressure dropped pretty low. But pretty quickly after the doctor came in I calmed down. After I was cut open I heard the doctor say that I had apparently been having real contractions because my uterus was paper thin. I was so glad for the validation of all those painful weeks!

This c-section went well as as soon as they pulled Seth out and I heard him cry I started to cry. Michael was a fantastic help and held my hand through the whole thing until I sent him off with Seth to be cleaned up.
The biggest shock was Seths size. I couldn't believe he was such a little guy- 6 pounds 15 oz is tiny!!! After three weeks he finally looks like the size Hyrum was when he was born :)
Newborn Seth
(Almost) Fresh from surgery. One side effect I always have is I itch like crazy so this is me after I scratched my face for a couple of hours. Swollen .
Meeting Grandma Ross
And Grandma Huish

3 comments:

Joel and Crystal said...

I LOVED reading this Laurie! What a beautiful little boy!

Rollins Family said...

I love reading the story even though I had already heard it. Isn't having a baby amazing. I love the pictures.

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

What a wonderful story, I am so grateful for modern medicine and healthy babies! You look beautiful and I am so glad you had such wonderful women there to support you! What a blessing!