Superheroes in Training

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

5 years

Oh Michael Dunn, I am so far behind. While it did take awhile for me to get to this VERY important post, know you were in no way forgotten.

5 years old-where did the time go? I look at my pictures of you and can't believe all that you have accomplished in your short (Feels VERY short) 5 years. You have been a treasure.  A few weeks ago I looked over at you playing with your brothers and for an instant I saw an image of you and your brothers grown and serving a mission. What a wonderful example you have been and are setting for your younger brothers. One of my favorite things about you is that you have discovered the power of prayer. And that you think of it as a super power. I laughed when I heard you pray about your hiccups being taken away, and then was in awe when they disappeared immediately. I should have the faith that you do.

Conversations with you have become a treat, though sometimes my pride takes a hit. A few months ago we went to pick up our van from the shop and you asked me if daddy was a good driver. I told you he was a VERY good driver, and that it was one of his skills. You then asked me what my skills were. I told you I was a good baker to which you responded "No your not!" OUCH!
Driving would seem more impressive to wonderful boy :)

I feel like I am trying to hold water in the palm of my hand as I watch your time with me slip through my fingers. You start kindergarten this year and a part of me is so excited for you, but the bigger part of me is a little sad. How can you be old enough to go to school? You are my first born, the one who made me a mother and the one who has taught me the most about being a mother. It seems like you were just my newborn in the hospital being held by your daddy as he whispered to you about your divine worth. I loved you then, but my love for you now makes me realize that I only THOUGHT I knew what it meant to love my child.

Thank you for being my son. It has been a privilege

2 comments:

Joel and Crystal said...

Crazy that he will be starting Kindergarten this year! Robert too!

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

he looks 7 in that top picture!