Superheroes in Training

Monday, August 10, 2009

What to do about Nursery.

I miss my mom. Sundays, while still the hardest day of the week, were made so much easier when my mom took both my kids in nursery with her. MD LOVED nursery. We used to be able to get him to do things faster on Sunday by telling him he would get to Nursery- He knew exactly where it was and would make a bee-line to it as soon as the closing prayer was said.

Here MD has decided he HATES nursery. At first he gets excited (I think he keeps hoping to see my mom in the room) but as soon as he spots the Nursery leader he breaks into sobs and clutches onto me screaming. This is the conversation we had (through the sobs)

MD:MOMMY!!!!! (LOUD SCREAMS)
Me: MICHAEL! I'll stay right here with you (Said with slight frustration)
MD: TIME GO!!!
ME: Lets sing a song
MD: Outside! Go outside!
Me: Old MacDonald had a Farm
MD: Night Night-Time go Night Night!
Me: You want to go to bed?
MD: Night Night! Want Daddy!

So I got his daddy so I could go and play in Relief Society. Each Sunday gets worse and I am not sure what to do about it. I know my mom would just take the kids and let them scream it out -unfortunately all the Leaders are my age or even younger-have no children and have 15 kids, so I think they already have their hands full. Plus MD looks like he is ready for Primary so most of the leaders are confused as to why this big kid is pitching such a fit.

Luckily for me MD actually prefers his daddy to me in Nursery-So Michael stays in with him.

On another note MD keeps telling me "I miss Poopah...miss Poopah" he says this with a sad face and walks to the door in hopes we will let him run next door. Dad Michael Dunn MISSES you! We miss you to.

(I feel like I should post a sad picture of MD to go along with the mood of this post but I haven't taken any of those lately :)

3 comments:

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

so pitiful! sorry about the rougher than you'd like it to be transition

hey email me:
carolineshillig@gmail.com
and we can get together sometime :)

Anne-Marie said...

Good luck with nursery! I am the nursery leader in our ward and I haven't figured out the solution to the kids that struggle yet either. I would still give it time...he hasn't had that much time to get used to it yet. Someone told me to ask the parents to bring the kids the last 15 minutes so that they leave when everyone else does, but only cry for 15 minutes. We haven't tried it with any of the kids yet...we just try to work with the parents to figure out the kid best. It was an interesting idea though.

Anne-Marie said...

I remember giving Samuel a choice between sitting in timeout at the nursery door and going to nursery...I think it worked...it has been a while (and you would have to make sure time out was BORING). It is a tough situation...who can beat his Grandma!?!