Superheroes in Training

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Michael Dunn aka King of the Universe

My little/huge child is right on his way to being a three year old next month-THREE!!!! That means he is technically old enough for primary though he won't be going until next year (Thank goodness!) While he looks like a primary child he sure does not act like one! Michael walked by nursery last Sunday to find MD yelling at a nursery leader who was patiently trying to read a book "NO!!!! Go Back!!! GO BBBAAAACCCCCKKKKKK!!!!!!!" Needless to say Michael stepped in and saved the poor newly married man who has no idea how to handle MD's aggression. Also that same Sunday MD was popping bubbles when some some child got annoyed with MD's ability to pop every one before he could-so this boy shoved MD. MD teetered for a second before responding with a gigantic shove that sent the boy flying and screaming.

Also it has brought my kid up to a new level of frustration with my inability to accept his new regime. "Mommy that's MINE!!! That's my yogurt!!! That's my banana!!!! That's my diaper!!!! That's my Blocks!!!"and on and on and on.

He has brought a new level of intelligence that obviously is above heads above mine. This is the conversation we had the other day
Me: "Michael if you could go outside what would you do?"
MD:" I build a snowman"
ME: "But there is no snow-so if we stayed inside what would you do?"
MD:"I play with blocks"
ME: "What would you build with those blocks?"
MD: (said with a very duh look) "I BUILD A SNOWMAN!!!!"

It also has brought a sense of independence. MD will not poop in the toilet. For awhile we really pushed him but it seemed to be such a stress to him that we realized it was not worth the battle-nor the stress it was bringing to our little boy, So we issued a cease and dismiss with the training until MD was more ready to handle it (I am hoping it is before primary :) But some of what we had stressed over and over seems to have stuck-and that is: We don't poop in our diapers. So now MD being the responsible almost 3 year old that he is takes the poop out of his diaper when he poops and tries to flush it down the toilet. This results in poop falling onto the floor, him stepping in it, realizing that the poop is on the floor so he tries to scrape it up with his fingers and wipe it onto the toilet. But poop on his fingers grosses him out so he goes and tries to wash them in the bathtub. Then he sits on the toilet because that is what you do when you go to the bathroom. What results is a horrible nasty mess all over the bathroom that is ten times worse to clean up then changing a poopy diaper. And this happens on a regular basis. I say serves me right and props to MD for trying to take responsibility for himself.

This stage in MDs life is so confusing to me. Most of the time I am at a loss on how to best handle the situations he brings up. He is not a horrible child-He is a sweet child realizing he has agency and loves to act on it. I am just not clued in on the correct way to handle it-and that brings about most of our problems. MD has always had to have some sort of control over his life and since I usually get in the way of that it makes MD very frustrated.

MD is so unique. I love that fact about him even if it means I don't have any clue as to how to parent him. He loves to help me with my "chores" and anytime he sees me doing any of them he drops what he is doing and immediately comes to help. He loves to play by himself and will spend 30 minutes to an hour working on one project or another, but always has to show me what he has done. I love that he needs me to validate him. I am his best friend and the one person he wants around him always. He is quick to forgive. When I make him mad or frustrated it usually is quickly forgotten and he comes to me to help or to play. His communication level has exploded and we are having conversations. I never realized that my baby boy would become my friend and the person I talk to throughout the day. I love this child who has taught me from day one that even though I am not a perfect mother he chooses me and loves me for the way I am.

And so my headstrong, independent, world class singing angel of mine-I love you and while I laugh about all the funny things you are doing I wouldn't trade them for anything. I want you forever-poop smeared bathrooms and all :)

1 comment:

Joel and Crystal said...

Wow! The poop smearing sounds pretty intense! We love you too MD! And Laurie you are an awesome momma! I love your blog!