Superheroes in Training

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sunday ramblings

This morning I am tired. You would think that a woman who spends most of her time in bed would be full of energy and ready to go! Today that is not the case. Yesterday as I was sitting down opening the list of books to continue reading I realized that it was once again a Saturday and that once again I would be missing church again the next day.  It was an interesting moment as I reflected on how much I missed taking the Sacrament. Sundays are actually one of the hardest days in our home-even when I am not on bed rest. Going to meetings, wrestling with 3 boys, bribing everyone to keep their mouths shut, fighting with Seth about why he needs to be in nursery while he stubbornly fights about why I should stay there with him makes those three hours one of the most stressful three hours of our week. So when I sat there yesterday and realized I was missing all those moments again and that I actually missed them, I realized bed rest was literally making me loony :)
Some highlights from my week:
Lately the boys have started asking me who I love better: Them or daddy. They do not like my answer :) Actually I tell them that I love them differently. MD HATES thinking that I could love anyone more then him and will argue with his daddy that he (MD) is my favorite. Their daddy on the other hand LOVES to instigate this little fight when MD brings it up and insists that I love him more. After a while MD gets frustrated at his daddy and ends the argument with a statement along the lines of "Mommy loves me more AND I love mommy more then you!" Ouch.  No worries to his daddy though since MD's loyalties change from me just as quickly when he gets mad at me.
Hyrum can make himself throw up any food he eats. It is SO frustrating an annoying. At dinner yesterday we sat down and served Hyrum up, only giving him things we thought he would enjoy. He quickly looked at his plate and informed me that he was not going to eat the yams. I then informed him that he had to just try one bite and if he didn't like it then he didn't have to eat it any more. His dad then jumped in that if Hyrum made himself throw up he was going to bed. Well Hyrum took one bite, forced himself to throw it up and was scooped up by his daddy and sent to bed.  I sat there wondering about how in the world one little boy could be so infuriating and stubborn and then I just stated giggling. MD thought I was crazy. Seth probably thought I was crazy too but I couldn't help myself.
Seth joined me in bed last night. I think he had a nightmare because he came in sobbing with his cheeks completely wet with his tears. I layed him down next to his daddy (Who can sleep though anything) and Seth just started screaming that he wanted his "BOBBY!" I wasn't actually ready for sleep (Pregnancy creates the worst insomnia for me) but I layed down next to him anyway. He scooted as close as he could to me and immediately calmed down and started dozing. It was a hot night and my temp already runs higher with little Clark raising my temp a couple of degrees, but a quote went through my mind as I held my baby:
"You rock a sobbing child without wondering if today’s world is passing you by, because you know you hold tomorrow tightly in your arms." By Neal A. Maxwell
It was a sweet moment.  Then I started thinking of a song my mom  used to sing to us (Jokingly) 
"Go to sleep. Little Creep" 
How is it that two seemingly different statements can be so completely perfect for one little boy?
I have started having the boys come into my room and sit next to me and we "work" on letters. MD's school informed us that the kids need to know how to spell their names (As well as know about 30 sight words, the alphabet, how to count to thirty, their shapes, and be able to write and recognize both uppercase and lower case letters-All before school started) 
I figured I would tackle them writing their names and within a few days MD had it down. I think he really loves the one on one time we spend together each day working on it. He also loves my little incentives (dum dum suckers) 
But I am not really working on the other things.  
I realized MD doesn't learn visually-he learns things from writing them down. I don't know what that is called but it is making me change the way I approach teaching him.
I asked him yesterday at our disastrous dinner what he looked forward to the most about starting school in 2 weeks. He thought about it for a few seconds then informed me he was most excited about his backpack. More specifically "His backpack that he doesn't have to share" 
Hyrum is insanely jealous because he also wants a "Backpack that HE doesn't have to share" 

2 comments:

Joel and Crystal said...

That's funny...I think Robert is most excited about a new backpack too. :) That is crazy that they want him to know all of those things before school starts!Kindergarten is NOT supposed to be that intense! Grrr! I wouldn't worry about it but try to have him learn his name with first letter uppercase and the rest lowercase. That's how they will want him to do it in school and sometimes it's hard if they've been taught with all uppercase. (Keep in mind this is from my short 2 years teaching K so not an expert here :) ) Can't wait to see pics of his first day of school!

The Katy Daileys said...

Your description of church reminds me of all those years I just had to think, "I am blessed for being here!". Hours and hours wrestling kids alone, spending class time in the foyer with a noisy toddler, etc. Have you ever read the blog "Power of Moms?". It just had an article about the bittersweet things of mothering. I would put a link, but I am on my phone with no teenager around to tell me how...:0)