Superheroes in Training

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Tales from the trip

Since I don't have the pictures I have taken I thought I would just go ahead and start documenting my trip.

We left on a Saturday night after we heard that the missionaries were evacuating (I figured if the Lord was moving them then I was moving my family) and after we were told that we would be under a mandatory evacuation the next morning. Shannon and I had originally planned to drive through the night and hopefully make it to Utah by the next evening. My dad however got involved and decided that he didn't want us to go off in the middle of the night us being defensles females and all (Which I totally agree with :) and so we all caravan to Dallas to stay with My Aunt Becky. That night was MISERABLE!!! I am so grateful for my Aunt for letting us stay. It was so kind of her family to welcome us with open arms and an open living room. The reason it was hard was not because of them it was all of the wonderful children. We arrived after 3:00 in the morning and all of the kids as well as the parents/grandparents were in the same room with the babies which meant that the kids would NOT go to sleep. They kept shrieking to each other and almost every one of them ended up out of their pack and play on the floor with an adult. i slept with Hyrum and I think Gavin slept with Shannon and one of the twins with mom. MD slept alone though. Shannon and I took off after 10 the next morning and drove to Albuquerque New Mexico and stayed at a hotel. It was sooooo nice to stay at a hotel but it felt so weird being the one to book the room and pay for and sign for it myself. I am just used to being taken care of and so it felt really awkward being the one in charge taking care of everything. Also we found out that my license plate fell off my car!!! It was crazy, the next day we passed no less the 8 police man 3 of which drove right behind me. I thought for sure I was going to be pulled over and was even more paranoid about it because my parents kept telling me that i was going to be pulled over and told me what i should say (Basically tell them I was an evacuee) Every time I noticed a Cop I would close my eyes hoping they would disappear and praying that they wouldn't stop me. I was so blessed because we never got stopped.

Shannon and I really enjoyed the trip for the most part (There were some drawbacks like the police men and our bottoms going numb from sitting so long) But Shannon and I passed the time by taking tons of pictures and turning on my I-POD and listening to my music. Shannon had a goal to listen to all my songs by the end of the trip and I think she accomplished it. Anyway when we arrived in Utah it was such a relief! My in-laws drove from Logan to help me with the last little stretch of driving which I was so grateful because by that time I was exhausted. Anyway i will post more later from the trip!

2 comments:

Callie said...

Wow!! What a trip. Hope our trip to Utah is just as fun!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome Welcome!! I am glad you made it safe and have a great family here to help! It really is nice to have great in-laws isn't it? i am so glad mine are very normal and very helpful too haha