Superheroes in Training

Thursday, February 5, 2009

So what do YOU do?

I have a confession, probably not a shocking one for any of you out there who know my husband, but one I feel needs to be made. I do NOT celebrate Valentines day. Not because I don't want too but because I have never been in a relationship with anyone during that time besides my husband-so I never really had the opportunity. Plus for some reason I thought I was a romantic but the one time in college that I had someone show up on horseback with flowers weirded me out pretty bad. Since then I like sweet (like candy and notes from my husband) but not ooey gooey hard to stomach sweet. Also the not so surprising part-Michael is very Anti-valentines day. He feels like he can be sweet every day of the year but hates having the world tell him that one day he HAS to be sweet (That is my romantic husband for you) And in all fairness to him he is VERY sweet EVERY day of the year (Even on Valentines day-He can't seem to help himself) But here is my delima-For some reason I WANT to celebrate it this year but I know that we won't be going out to eat, will have both kids and all the planning will fall on me since Michael has boycotted the holiday. I am not really asking for ideas because regardless I am pretty sure I will get excited, plan a huge day then fizzle out the night before because of the stress of planning ( I have a process I go through:) But I am curious how others spend their valentines day-Maybe someday we will stir up the romantic gene long enough to watch a romantic movie without Michael snickering in the background and me falling asleep half way through due to lack of interest because of Michael's snikering....

4 comments:

Justin and Ashleigh Smith said...

Haha.. I actually laughed out loud reading this because it sounds a lot like Justin and I(and also because the part about the guy showing up on horseback would have weirded me out too!)I dont think we have ever celebrated the holiday due to midterms, work, and this year Justin is out of town. I have always wanted to celebrate it too but have not ever made the time to plan out a special date..if you come up with any ideas, let me know! Oh yeah, and dont feel bad.. I ALWAYS fall asleep in movies!

The Katy Daileys said...

My Michael feels the same way! He gives me flowers all year long and refuses to have the world tell him when he can give me flowers (and then pay double or triple for them). I like it because it is always a suprise! We do get things for the kids though!

Anne-Marie said...

We don't not celebrate it, but we don't feel pressure to do anything major either...for the same reasons.

Usually we rent a chick-flick. Sounds boring, but it is kind of a tradition. We started in college...it wasn't on purpose, we just didn't want to spend money. It was fun..."Sweet Home Alabama".

I am thinking about forgoing that tradition this year and having a "kid's night". Samuel planned (without my help) a boy's night last week, and I am thinking vday would be the best day to have it, so the parents of the kids we invite won't need to get a babysitter.

Callie said...

The last few Valentine Days I have made a special dinner here at home for us to share. I have put a lot into the meal and made some fancy dessert to go with it. I have really enjoyed doing it in the past, seems like a good time of year to celebrate, not much going on. BUT, this last year it wasn't so fun. By the end of the day I was tired and drained. This year we are doing pizza and ice cream sundaes for dessert. We'll probably get a couple movies, one to watch with the kids and one for Steve and I. I have plans to make cards and sugar cookies with the kids earlier in the day. I'm keeping it simple this year and will focus on enjoying time with the family. I'm learning (trying to learn) that holidays and family times are enjoyed more when we are relaxed and happy. If going all out with homemade whatever makes you happy, do it, but for us, atleast for now, simple is best. I know we will enjoy this time of year with each other, celebrating a relaxing evening together.