Superheroes in Training

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Deep Breaths

Today has been a loony toon day! My sister and I had a talk a couple of days ago when I was having a melt down and she reassured me that it was indeed hard to have 2 boys. I love it-but at the same time I would like a day where something isn't being broken, colored on, sat on (Usually Hyrum is being sat on) or hammered (Why in the world did I EVER buy a toy hammer?????)
I am not even going to pretend that those with girls have an easier life then I do but sometimes it is nice to feel validated for your own problems...err children. (Ok ok-my kids aren't problems they are little angels with the devil in them.)My dad used to say, and I think he still does, that you can either have stuff or you can have kids and it is TRUE! I need to just get emotionally detached to everything I own.

So today goes as follows:
wake up and realize that the discomfort I had been feeling turned into a Bladder infection (Hey you ASKED to read my blog :) and I had overslept and we needed to be at church in 40 minutes and I was in desperate need of a shower (Still am.) Quickly jumping out of bed Michael gets the boys ready and I get dressed.
Church: Volunteers were asked to sub in primary and Michael and I volunteered. Hyrum was snotty so he wasn't allowed in nursery so we had him in class with all the other 15 five year olds and one fun old lady.

Fast forward: after the boys woke up from their naps we turn on veggie tales. After about 30 minutes we went in to check and found MD climbing once again on his daddy's dresser and Hyrum perched over my broken glasses. After some angry crying on all sides the boys were banished to their rooms.
Fast forward another 30 minutes. The boys are laughing in their room and not acting properly punished so we went in to check on them to find both boys standing by our wooden blinds with 4 blind shafts broken off.
Fast Forward to an hour ago where the boys finally go to sleep after tantrums were thrown by the parents and the boys were finally exhausted from their day of wreaking havoc and finally fell asleep. Michael and I decide to start having a conversation about how we shouldn't be angry at our kids since we as children have cost our own parents SO MUCH MORE MONEY! If you want to hear a funny story ask Michael about the time he hit a golf ball through his parents sliding door- Or the time I loaded 10 people up on our brand new golf cart and took it for a spin in a pasture (It broke pretty quickly and we were never able to revive it) How is it that children are able to live to adult hood????? And will I ever feel like I can safely own anything????

Maybe it seems like this is not near as bad as it seemed at the beginning-It is probably true but yesterday we were dealing with the boys dismantling the closet (They found our Christmas ornaments and were desperately trying to get to them) Or that the day before MD had taken a little wooden wagon a went racing through the hall where that wagon hit a door, ricochet off, hit and dented the wall, then bounced back and hit another door. I wanted to pull my hair out! And the problem is they are smarter then me and they are only 1 1/2 and 2 1/2!!!! Every time I punish them they figure out a way to keep getting at me and refusing to allow any sort of my punishments to put a damper on there rebel rousing!

I will say that there was a silver lining on our thunderstorm day- A good friend of ours called in a prescription for us which made me feel SO loved and that me and my troubles are not invisible to the Lord.


Luckily for these boys we love them and want them to reach adult hood. Still sometimes I wish I had a rubber room.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't imagine two little boys...one is going to be a struggle enough for me lol. Although you should see Adalie in her moments. I am pretty sure I say no and we have time out at least 100 times a day haha. Hang in there though. You are doing a great job though and you can always use these stories against them when they get older haha Love you guys

Rachel said...

I have laughed and laughed. And everyone else laughed when I read it a fhe. Dad loved it. . . and we commiserate with you and your little "angels/heathens"

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

that bottom picture says it all...the mischief in those smiles!

I was comforted in reading this, knowing we ALL have "looney tune" days I think you called it.

S. A. said...

Oh Laurie, Bless you heart. I hate "looney tune days"! But just look at your boys smiles, and I know they are loved.

Hang in there. Someday they will be teenagers!

Love you, Aunt Becky

The Katy Daileys said...

I am glad I am not the only mother who has meltdowns! Boys or girls it is just crazy having young kids! I just asked Michael the other day what happened to that golf cart your dad bought from his grandma! I think it is hilarious that you fit 10 people in it! Oh, the things we all did as teens!

Reality as i know it said...

i just wanted you to know that i love your blog...thanks for letting me be a part of it