Superheroes in Training

Sunday, June 8, 2008

c-section horror story

I am giving a brief description of what happened.
basically my anaesthesiologist did not do a very good job giving me my spinal bock. she had to stick me about 4 times and after all of this I did not go completely numb. I could actually still move my right leg and felt it when the A-lady (Anaesthesiologist, though I am going to say A-Lady to save time) grabbed a needle and started pricking me with it. It was mostly numb in my abdomen so they went ahead a started the surgery. I knew I would feel pressure, but was unprepared for the shot of pain every couple of seconds that accompanied it where they were cutting (though I was told by the A-Lady that the pressure could feel like pain and that I wasn't really feeling pain.) After about 2 minutes I started hyperventilating and felt like I was suffocating under the oxygen mask that the A-Lady was holding over my face. She started fussing at me when i started squirming trying to breathe and told me that I wouldn't be having so many problems if I would just do exactly what she said. I tried to calm down but it kept getting harder and harder to breathe and my body started going into shock from not breathing and the pain from the surgery that I was feeling. finally right after the baby was born and they started stitching me up again I passed out, which was such a huge blessing because I woke up when they were almost done and I felt like I could breathe again, though I was shaking so badly that it took me about an hour to stop when I was in recovery.
I was told in the recovery room that this A-Lady had had alot of other similar problems with her other patients because she uses outdated techniques and refuses to use the newer procedures and medicines.

I really am just so grateful that Hyrum was OK and that there was no lasting damage on my part. I love my Doctor and really appreciate how quickly and efficiently he finished the surgery. Sorry to sound so negative- after the surgery it was a pleasant experience and I have really loved being the mother of 2 wonderful boys.

6 comments:

Joel and Crystal said...

You are a trooper Laurie. I'm glad that part is over and we have sweet Hyrum here safe and sound and that you are safe.

Anonymous said...

I had a nurse who was not very nice during my first labor and it made me realize in the future to stand up when they were being "know it alls" b/c like you did I knew my body better than that nurse!

GOOD JOB! 2 babies are amazing! ENJOY!

did you have a c-section w/MD?

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! I am glad you got though it though and everything turned out okay in the end, but I am sorry your nurse wasn't very nice that really makes me upset!! Enjoy your little souvenir!! He is beautiful! And I am so glad Micheal got to come home!! How fun!!

Anne-Marie said...

That makes me so mad! That is awful!!!

Congratulations! All of your comments made me cry (some with anger :) and others with absolute happiness for you guys)!

BRZZ Odom said...

wow. that just convinced me to never have a c-section! ever!

AmyLyn said...

I wanna beat that lady up.....ugggh