Superheroes in Training

Sunday, August 29, 2010

I love having toddlers

The other day Michael told me of this conversation between MD and himself.
"MD your hands are wet! Are they wet because you washed them?"
MD: "Yes-and pee."

We also have been trying to teach him the RIGHT place to go potty-especially since a couple of weeks ago our neighbor caught him peeing on one of their bushes! I feel like I am seeing a glimpse into what scout camp will be like in 9 or 10 years.

Yesterday we were looking at old pics of the boys when I pulled up this picture of MD on his first Birthday. MD looked at the picture and said "OH! He's a mess!"Life with 2 toddler boys is a lot of work-but it is a lot of fun too! It sometimes feels like I am watching the world unfold for MD and he is seeing it the way the Lord originally crated. He sees beauty in almost everything and takes joy in things I have stopped noticing. He loves the sunset and points out it to me when he sees it. He was concerned a couple of days ago when one of our neighbors told him the sun melted when it went down at night and we had to reassure him that the sun did not melt but that it was just over a different part of the world and we couldn't see it.

Hyrum is right behind his brother usually leaving a path of destruction behind him. He has perfected the "I'm innocent" attitude and even when all signs point to him he refuses to admit he did anything wrong. Probably to him he thinks he didn't. He also is discovering new things. He loves to throw things and our neighbor let him play with his football the other day and Hyrum refused to put it down. he would let other people throw him the ball but otherwise the ball stayed locked in his arms. After we returned the ball Hyrum has been asking me to get him a football. Both boys love music and while MD loves Johnny Cash and can sing along with some of the songs, Hyrum LOVES the song "I love to see the Temple" and thumbs through our piano book until he finds it.

Sometimes (Alot of the times) I feel so overwhelmed with everything I feel like I am suppose to be doing for these boys and I feel almost overloaded with the work it takes to be a full time mommy. But I have never felt happiness like I feel when the boys cuddle up to me in the wee hours of the morning or when they tell me they love me. Or when we are doing an activity and I see the joy radiating from their faces. Motherhood is a noble calling and I have never felt so close to heaven as when I am surrounded by my wonderful family.

1 comment:

Joel and Crystal said...

Hey Laurie! I've loved reading all of your updates. Looks like you guys had a great family vacation! And I loved the post about Education Week! Miss you all all already!

Awesome about the joy school for your boys and I love that you will only do it if your boys want to and are having fun. that is how it should be.

Love you and hope you are doing great!