Superheroes in Training

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

2 years ago today

I woke up this morning and realized that two years ago today Michael and I got engaged so I thought I would share our story:
After talking for a couple of months and having a long distance relationship which involved Michael driving three hours one way to pick me up and take me to his parents home every other weekend, I realized that mid-way through march of 2006 that I was in love with him and wanted to marry him. He however knew he loved me but wasn't sure it was the right thing. I patiently waited for him to get the same "yes" answer that I did only to be told one night after he went to the temple to pray about us that he still didn't know. Finally feeling like it wasn't going to happen I hung up the phone telling him in a very pathetic voice "Goodbye Michael"
Well he took that goodbye literally and realized in a hurry that he didn't want to lose me and so he hopped into his car and showed up at my apartment 3 hours later to tell me that he loved me and that "I had nothing to worry about" I was shocked to see him (really thinking that it had been the end of our relationship) but lost no time in finding him a place to sleep for the night then blowing off the rest of my classes for the week to go home to his parents house with him (amazingly I passed all my classes that semester) We saw each other most weekends after that and I knew that we were going to get married because he told me that I needed to withdraw from school and not to go on the study abroad trip I was thinking about doing (I of course asked him if I needed to withdraw wanting to weasel some information out of him) I waited for what seemed like forever (and it was made even longer by having family members constantly calling and asking if he was going to call and ask dad for permission anytime soon on a daily basis) Finally it was Easter weekend and we had taken our engagement pictures, and picked out announcements (And we were still not engaged) when his wonderful mother sat us down and told us that "Either we were going to announce that we were engaged at tomorrows Easter dinner or she was!" Michael assured her that we would announce it, but that meant that he would be calling my dad that night. Well that was cake as it was my Dad who set us up in the first place and I had no doubts that Michael would have his blessing and could probably have more if he wanted.

The next day after church we went on a drive up into the mountains. The first place Michael wanted to take me was closed down due to the bad weather that Utah had been having so we drove on looking for the "perfect" spot . We weren't saying much because he was so nervous and I was so carsick. Finally I was about to tell him to just pull over on the side of the road and propose when he found a nice "dry" spot. We got out of the car and walked over a makeshift bridge and into the woods where he asked me "THE " question and I of course said yes.

Two years later I am more in love with this wonderful man than ever and am grateful to have made the choices that I did. What a blessing it has been to be married for time and all eternity to my best friend and the love of my life. I love him so much and will always be grateful that he chose me to be his eternal companion.
I love this picture though I am fully aware that it is not very flattering to either of us!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

what an amazing story! how did your dad know him? and good job with the eating and the ensign!!! you are awesome!

Joel and Crystal said...

I love these pictures Laurie!

Kristina said...

I loved reading y'all's story. Y'all are very blessed.

Melissa said...

Cute story. Thanks for sharing. I think it's hilarious that you had engagement pics and invitations before you announced anything. =)
Great pics too!

Laurie Huish said...

Michael served his mission in Vidor while I was up at BYU Idaho and lived next to my dad who loved him. I actually heard about him a couple of months before we met and was told to look him up when he got off his mission (He was still on his mission at that time!) I didn't but luckily we met anyway :)

Melissa said...

That is so sweet! I remember the day he called us and I said, "Michael if you are calling to tell me we have another wedding, I don't know what I am going to do!!" Well, he asked to talk to Aaron, and made the big announcement! I am so happy things worked out the way they did, I just wish you lived closer!!

Celia said...

I can't beleive it's been 2 years! That was a fun time and we're sooo happy we're family. You're absolutely perfect for Michael. What a wonderful life you have made together!

Anonymous said...

how fun! congrats onthe big happy family! you guys are so awesome...i love you lots!!