Superheroes in Training

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Day at the Doctors

Today Michael Dunn had his 1 year check up where he was suppose to get a shot and a clean bill of health, I was nervous going in because on Sunday Michael had gotten into an ant pile and had ant bites all over one little leg, and he also had a diaper rash. This doctor is not always very considerate with what he says and I have felt on several occasions that he thinks that i am an idiot and that I am not qualified to raise a plant much less a baby. So I did go in feeling kind of nervous. The visit went well- I told him about the ant bites, showed him Michael's Diaper rash and asked what Michael Dunn could take for allergies. he answered my questions normally and then announced that Michael had a viral disease. What!!!! Apparently Michael has Hand foot and Mouth disease a mild viral disease that takes about 7-10 days to run it's course but manifests itself by blisters all over the soles of the feet, palms of the hands and the insides of children's mouth and in some cases can spread to the genital area. On top of this it is also highly contagious and Michael can't be around anyone else for 7-10 days. I had noticed that Michael was starting to get fussy and that it looked like he had gotten into ants again (those were the blisters) but I had no idea he had a disease!

After that pleasant visit I went to my Doctor to get a rash that suddenly showed up on my neck and face checked out. It came on about three days ago and has gotten worse and worse until I woke up last night and could not go to sleep because of the itch and burn! My Doctor didn't know what caused it and said it wasn't pregnancy induced but was kind enough to give me a box of sample cream to try on my face. I tried it and it BURNED! I also noticed that once it stopped burning it felt like I had dirt all over my face and realized that it was my skin! I think the medicine literally burned some of the rash off!

It was a long stressful and difficult day and I had on more then one occasion upon reaching home started to cry wishing I had a chance to take a break and let someone else deal with all the problems (My house was a mess, I have a rash, my son has a disease, we are under quarantine, I probably spread this disease already to most of my family who live close, I need to work on MD's insurance and other things on top of being pregnant) but when I started getting ready for bed I started realizing all of the things that I had been blessed with today.

  1. I was blessed to actually get in today and see Dr. Barry because I had an appointment already set up for Thursday and he was packed full today, but his wonderful wife got me in and gave me a box of ointment.
  2. My mom took me because I wasn't sure how well I would drive (I took benadryl for the itch in the middle of the night to help with the pain, and it made me really drowsy and was still suffering the affects the next morning) and made the day much more bearable.
  3. Found out everything today before Michael Dunn's insurance runs out (His insurance runs out this month and it will take until June to get him enrolled in the new army insurance) So I will still have time to make sure he is OK and take him to the doctor if I need to.
  4. I received a sweet blessing and was reminded once again that the Lord is in Charge
  5. I have a sweet husband who listens to me and helps me mentally and emotionally and has unfailing love for me even half way across the world
  6. I have a sweet baby boy who even with blisters all over his hands and feet manages to have a good attitude and makes me feel loved
  7. Prayer-The minute I feel overwhelmed I know I can drop to my knees for strength and comfort
  8. Having a mother and a father who raised me to have faith
  9. And Having a knowledge that the Lord is in control and that we are going to be OK.
I know that my life really is a very blessed and easy life. I am grateful that my problems small as they are are important to the Lord. I also feel like I am getting an opportunity (as I deep clean my house trying to rid it of germs that could make Michael Dunn more sick) to get things ready for this new little boy and will have a lot of opportunities to spend more one on one time with Michael Dunn as the time that he will not have me all to himself gets closer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW WHAT A DAY!
ARE YOU ENROLLING MD IN TRICARE PRIME REMOTE? IS THAT WHAT Y'ALL HAVE THERE? B/C WE ARE ON THAT AND YES IT IS A PAIN AND I HAVE HAD TRICARE FOR THREE YEARS NOW SO I CAN HELP W/QUESTIONS IF YOU NEED...SERIOUSLY USE ME AS A RESOURCE B/C I PROMISE I HAVE BEEN THERE DONE THAT W/THE MILITARY STUFF...

CAROLINESHILLIG@HOTMAIL.COM
EMAIL IF YOU WANT MY NUMBER TO TALK...SERIOUSLY

Sam and Robin Packard's Place said...

great idea...count your blessings...and write them down..we all need to do that sometimes. HFM is so painful for those little ones! Mine have had it, they are miserable...poor guy!

Anonymous said...

i am sorry to hear about the sad times but i am so impressed with your positive attitude. keep it up you are doing so great...