Superheroes in Training

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Battle with MD's Bottom

For the Last couple of months Michael Dunn has sported this red leathery rash that every once in a while bleeds. It causes him to scream in pain and he struggles through every diaper change. This rash comes and goes but never fully heals. I have been doing all that I know what to do for it from taking him to the doctor and the doctor prescribing something that made it 10 times worse, to putting every different kind of ointment on it (Budrows butt paste, Desitin, and a kind that my pharmacist makes) and different kinds of powders (Caldiseen and Baby powder with Cornstarch) I have even taken him off milk products because I was told that this could be due to a Milk allergy, and then also taking him off certain foods that seemed to make his bottom sting after he digested it. None of these worked. So I tried giving him baths every day and letting him air dry before putting his diaper back on. I have also tried blow drying his bottom so it got completely dry-no such luck. I know that there is an answer out there, and I just don't know what it is and so if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

my daughters seem to have sandpaper for bottoms b/c we have never ever had a single flair up ... I am excited to see what other mother's have to suggest

Chris Dailey said...

Will advice from a new father instead of a mother work? When Emmaline was having similar problems we saw the biggest improvements when we stopped using diaper wipes and started using cotton swabs and warm water.

Jill said...

We have battled this over and over with every baby. Most of the time it's a yeast infection. Nystatin (Rx) usually works, but we have also had to get a Rx with a steroid in it. Don't use powders as this will only make it worse. I hope he gets better, poor thing!

Laurie Huish said...

Thank you so much! Chris I definently don't mind a new fathers advice-I welcome it! Jill, I think it is a yeast infection and so I am trying to go along those lines. I am going to try to get a prescription today, but I didn't know what it was called. Thank you for the advice.

Anonymous said...

could it be exzima? it does also sound like a yeast infection...i had to get a perscription cream for Adalie's. also, we found out adalie is sensitive to the types of wipes we used so we had to switch to the expensive sensitive pampers kind...that helped us a bit. hope it gets better good luck!!

Anne-Marie said...

Yeast infection is usually what that is in my kids.

Millers! said...

I could only use Pampers sensitive wipes and pampers diapers... my kids have super sensitive skin.. so it was pampers all the way, and I also use only Dove soap on them, it seems to work.... I am dealing with a rash on Ashlynne right now, So as soon as payday hits I have to go out and spend money on the pampers.. mind you, I just bought diapers at Costco a few weeks ago! ughhh..

Melanie said...

How is the prescription working? I am CERTAIN it is a yeast infection. Colby had that for over a month before I figured out it was a yeast infection. Nystatin is the BEST for that! Straight nystatin - not mixed with anything. Hope it works! That can be miserable!