Superheroes in Training

Monday, May 12, 2008

Sweet Moments of Motherhood

I am not a hormonal pregnant woman. I really am not. I take after my mom in this respect. When I get pregnant my moods actually even out and I am much more laid back and relaxed (Sometimes I wonder if that is part of the reason I have been pregnant 18 months of the 2 years we have been married :) However because it takes more to make me upset, I also get much MORE upset and angry wen something does get to me.

Yesterday after church I brought over my contribution to our family dinner, sour cream and tomatoes and some red velvet cake balls that I got the recipe off a friends website. I was VERY proud of my dessert. I had them arranged very artistically arranged on a dessert platter and was excited to have people try them. It had taken me a while to make them (In my overlarge state it takes me a while to do ANYTHING these day) and so I was pretty proud of myself.

I was helping my mom get the rest of the dinner ready while we waited for everyone to get there and trying to pacify Michael Dunn who was so exhausted and cranky and had moved to only one nap a day and it was time for that nap, on top of it I was hungry and then I saw my brother walk off with something in him hand eating it quickly and leaving the room quickly. I thought he was eating some of my chocolate covered donuts that I had brought for myself (Sundays are sugar days for me) and so I called after him a little bugged,
"Those are NOT up for grabs!!!!"
I went to put them up and noticed that my artful arrangement looked a little off and I realized that he had been sneaking my Velvet cake balls! The hormones came really quick and I was furious.
I sought out this brother who was not remotely sorry and who just informed me that why would he have eaten the donuts when there were cake balls
"Because they are for dessert!" I resisted saying something else and trying to control myself I went and sat on the couch and Michael Dunn came in screaming. He was mad at me because I wouldn't let him sit on Grandpas lap because Clayton was sitting there and Michael Dunn for some reason feels like Grandpa is HIS. Anyway I was mad and tired and hungry and I had had it. I grabbed Michael Dunn, grabbed a plastic bag and put some of my cake balls in them for me to eat, and then took Michael Dunn home and went and layed on my bed and cried. (When I get really mad I cry) Michael Dunn heard me cry (Who I had put to bed) and started crying himself. I realized pretty quick that he was crying because I was and (This is really the point of this super long and drawn out story) So I got him up.

He saw my face and layed down with me and let me cry and cuddle with him. Every once in awhile he would pull up and stare at my face and see that I was still crying and then lay back down next to me. He did that for a long time and it helped me calm down. I was surprised to see that my 13 month old was aware of me and my feelings and comforted me! What a sweet gift he gave me. Makes the scripture "Become as a little child" take on more meaning. What a sweet boy.

Anyway I calmed down, realized It was completely my hormones and that my poor brother was not acting out of Character. I remember stealing desserts so what right do I have to be mad really? Poor guy though I think he got chewed out by my dad after I left because he didn't eat anymore that day.

3 comments:

Joel said...

Sweet sweet experience! Sorry that it was a tough one for you a little though! Hormones or not...sometimes we just need a little special comfort! We love you Lou....and we love you too Laurie!

Anonymous said...

BABIES ARE AMAZING! AND I DIDN'T REALIZE YOUR LITTLE ONES WILL BE THIRTEEN MONTHS APART LIKE MINE ARE :) GOTTA LOVE BEING PREGNANT FOR JUST ABOUT TWO STRAIGHT YEARS HUH?

Celia said...

I love how babies can comfort us! I can just see you and Michael Dunn - what a sweet moment. It reminds me of a mother's day when Callie was about 1 1/2. She usually didn't like to cuddle before bedtime but when we got home from church I rocked her and she snuggled up in my arms and fell asleep. It was my first Mother's Dad after losing Sim and I was expecting Aaron and was having a hard time. I've always felt that that was her gift to me. Still today I count it as one of my sweetest moments of motherhood.