Michael is Officially at his Post Yeah!!!!! I am glad that he is FINALLY there after spending 2 and a half weeks traveling around different bases in Afghanistan just to be told that they are not ready for them. His unit will replace those who were stationed there previously and take over all the duties of the base on the 13th. He is getting adjusted and having an interesting time getting to know the other people there. Last night he had dinner with the interpreters, who made dinner and he said while most of it was good, they prepared a sort of "mystery meat" that contained mostly fat and he was not sure what else. He said he gulped it down as fast as he could so as not to offend them. I think he is going to have a lot of fun stories to tell when he gets home. I had fun trying to guess what the meat was! He is also now the only member of the church where he is stationed. At the other base he was with about 30 other members, but now he is all on his lonesome. On the bright side, what an ideal place for missionary work!
Today Both Michael Dunn and I had Doctor appointments. I didn't realize that I was far enough along to start being seen every two weeks. That is something I DO NOT look forward too. To many times to be weighed and too many times to drive up to the hospital....Michael Dunn got a shot. He did so good, Barely cried and calmed down so quickly! I was grateful. I was even more grateful when he fell asleep on the way home so I could put him to bed and take a nap myself.
I have realized some of the reasons Michael Dunn is acting out so much. Since I posted a couple of days ago He has progressed to full out throwing fits, biting me, pulling on me, hitting me, and now refuses to eat his food. 1 thing is that he is teething (3 new molars coming in the back OUCH!) and 2) He is bored with just his mommy to keep him company. I was worried that I was doing something to make my Son more and more insecure and was getting more and more worried. I have noticed he does so well with other kids and have been told repeatedly what a good boy I have (I always grumble in the back of my mind-though in reality he IS a good boy) But one thing that happened today solidified in my mind how important it is to have both a father and mother in the home. We were over at my parents house and my brother David was over with his son Clayton. Michael and Clayton were playing together and David joined in. However when David jumped in , Michael backed off and watched. I saw on his face this look of uncertainty and one of confusion. I mentioned to David that Michael might want to play, but it took a lot of coaxing to get him to respond. He wanted too, but something was holding him back. In my mind for the first time I realized I could not fill the place of his daddy no matter how much I tried and it hurt because I could not fix the problem as Michael realized that there was something missing today as he watched another daddy play with his son.
I have realized how very very important a mother AND a father is in the home and how much influence both have over their children. Even though this was a small example it was the first time I realized that I couldn't be a mommy and a daddy no matter how much I wanted too. I am so grateful for my own husband who is still very much a part of our lives, even though he might not be with us at the present time.
5 comments:
YOU ARE SO SWEET. I AM GLAD YOUR HUSBAND MADE IT TO HIS POST. AND THE MILITARY IS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR MISSIONARY WORK... "NO ATHEISTS IN A FOX HOLE" SO ARE YOU ON TRICARE PRIME REMOTE?
Hey, anytime you need someone to toss little Michael around give Kenneth a call. I know it is not the same as his daddy...honestly Laurie you made me cry this morning(dang pregnancy hormones)...but anything we can do to help!
You are doing such an amazing job with your family Laurie...I am glad Micheal is finally settled for a while too i bet that was a pain..
I am not pregnant, Meg, and I am crying. Thanks Laurie.
I don't know how you go it...you're an inspiration. Seriously.
Post a Comment