Superheroes in Training

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sundays

Michael to me,
Dear Laurie,
How is your day been? How was church? I hope that Michael Dunn was good for you. I went to church today too. I meet up with the only other member here, Brother Baumgrader. He is from Arizona has been a member all of his life. He is married and has 4boys and 2girls. His oldest is 18. He goes home in June. He seems like a very spiritual man. We meet up in his room with walls made of mud and straw. We had a little group leader kit from the church and we laid down white napkins for the sacrament. We had water and had to use a muffin for our bread. We started with a song, Then a prayer and a sacrament hymn. He blessed the bread, and I the water and we passed it to each other. We then read from the Joseph Smith manual, lesson five on forgiveness. It was really sweet. At the end Brother Baumgarder was in tears. He said there is something special about sacrament service out in the field. We got together kind of last minute actually meeting up in the chow hall. He spotted me out. But since then I have already committed 3 others to come to church with me next week. Some friends asked how church was and I told them it was good and how there was all two of us. I then talked them into coming for next week. It will be good I hope that we can get something stable going on.


I am so glad that he found someone else who is a member.

For us the day has gone well. I prepared last night everything for church and actually got up on time, so we able to get there early (Last week we arrived right before the sacrament. Thank you day light savings time!)
After church Michael Dunn and I went outside to play and I realized the my boy has made the transition to being a walker!! He can now stand up without pulling on anything-something he has been trying to do for about a week now. I cannot believe how quickly he is growing. He turns 1 next month!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im sooo exited for his birthday!!!! im glad big Micheal is doing well and has found another member love you guys !!

Melissa said...

That is so wonderful to hear that Michael has at least one other person. How amazing, I don't know if I would have the strenghth to do what he is doing. You are all in our prayers.

aimee said...

i guess reading about church over in afghanistan makes you grateful for those port-o-pots sitting out side our building! :)

Anonymous said...

THANKS FOR SHARING. WHAT A TESTIMONY BUILDER. THANKS AGAIN!

Laurie Huish said...

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't take our church for granted! Thanks for the laugh Amy!

Celia said...

How wonderful to know Michael has another member of the church to share Sundays with. I know how much that means to him - and to invite others to join them. What a great blessing! It really puts my mind at ease to know he'll have the strength and protection the sacrament and fellowship in the gospel provide.

Millers! said...

What a great letter, it reminds me alot of Dougs letters from Iraq, and remembering that we are not only fighting for their freedom, but also their freedom to worhip how they want... Michael sounds good, and Michael Dunn is absolutely adorable, I love how he is just following grandpa in the garden.. too cute!