Well Michael is STILL in the base where they arrived earlier last week. His unit has been on standby for about 4 days and as he puts it "We have to stay constantly packed and ready to move out at any time." I think he is really antsy to finally be where he is going to be for the next year. Some good news though: He was able to actually attend a ward on base! There were about 30 members there and he was able to take some of his friends with him. Its funny to listen to him-he says there were a lot of opinionated people there-including him!!! I love him so much and am so grateful that he had this opportunity to renew his covenants. I think I take it for granted going to church every week. For instance I actually enjoyed today when we were sent home 2 hours early because there was something wrong with the plumbing! There were a lot of Nursery and younger primary kids that felt jipped though.:) anyway back on track-I am just grateful that he had the opportunity to meet with other members and feel the spirit. What a wonderful church we belong to even all the way across the world in Afghanistan.
3 comments:
IN THE ARMY THEY LIVE BY THE MOTTO OF "HURRY UP AND WAIT!" BUT I LOVE WHEN THEY ARE UNEXPECTEDLY ABLE TO GO TO CHURCH! AND THE ARMY IS A GREAT PLACE FOR MISSIONARY WORK. THANKS FOR THE UPDATE!
SO IS HE ACTIVE DUTY OR NATIONAL GUARD? WHAT IS Y'ALL'S ARMY STORY?
He is in the Reserves. Michael knew from a very young age that he was going to join the military but he also wanted to serve a mission, and Reserves was the way to go. Now we wish we were out of the reserves just because it hasn't been very conveinient (Is it ever? :) We have talked about going active duty when he returns but we don't know. What is ya'lls story?
JAKE JOINED THE UTAH NAT'L GUARD TWO AND A HALF YEARS AGO. HE WENT TO BASIC AND THEN WE MOVED TO MONTEREY, CA (THE DEFENSE LANGUAGE INSTITUTE) WHERE HE LEARNED MANDARIN FOR A YEAR AND A HALF AND WE LOVED IT! AND THEN HE HAD HIS AIT AT FT. HUACHUCA, AZ AND THAT WAS A LONG 4 MONTHS! AND NOW WE ARE BACK HERE AND HE IS WORKING ACTIVE DUTY FOR THE NATIONAL GUARD AS A LINGUIST SO WE ENJOY ALL THE BENEFITS OF ACTIVE DUTY (PAY, HEALTH INSURANCE ETC.) BUT WHILE BEING NATIONAL GUARD. HE IS ALSO IN THE ROTC HERE AT BYU... SO LONG STORY SHORT JAKE JOINED THE MILITARY FOR THEM TO PAY FOR GRAD SCHOOL FOR HIM... HE IS HOPING MEDICAL. AND I LOVE THE MILITARY LIFE... BESIDES THE DEPLOYMENTS THEY ARE VERY "FAMILY ORIENTED"
Post a Comment